Term 4, Week 11 - Monday 13 December 2021
Staff members of our school invest hugely and personally in the lives of your children. The time, the commitment, the personal investment is extraordinary and I am privileged to work daily alongside such wholesome people. To aid learning is an investment in the future and, between the works of good families and good staff members, our children here have a very sound foundation.
As my time closes in the role of Principal at St Raphael’s I want to thank parents for the support and loyalty to the school that you have given. There isn’t a school anywhere that survives without active support of parents. Our school continues to grow due to your good will and help. I am sure that Mrs Deschamps, the incoming Principal, will lead the school community to new heights of care and excellence.
I want to specifically acknowledge the extraordinary work of the School Leadership Team this year. They all taught and carried out their executive duties with professionalism, energy, thoroughness and good will in an extraordinarily challenging environment.
In 2022 there is a particular change of staffing that is important in our school. Mrs Peta Bischof will step away from the role of Religious Education Coordinator (Secondary). We have been immensely blessed by the quality and style of Peta’s work as REC. We experience the most beautiful liturgies, retreats and opportunities for outreach that enable engagement with our inner self and with our God. The depth of the impact of Peta’s work has been profound for hundreds of people over many years and we pray for Peta with gratitude as she spends more classroom time with students and the coordination of our highly awarded VET department.
A reminder that Thursday and Friday of this week are Pupil-Free days. Wednesday is the last day of student attendance.
Finally, our patron Saint, Raphael, is also patron saint of travellers, physicians and young people. I pray that this Christmas Jesus will be brought to life in your family and in our world and that St Raphael protect our travellers and our young people and bring healing through Christmas to those who suffer.
Faith & Life
In a world where worry, not peace, prevails, stir up that good news again. This Christmas, make it real in our hearts. Never have we needed Your joy and peace more than now. Thank You for the gift of Jesus, our Immanuel, the Word made flesh. Forgive us for forgetting—that Your love never changes, never fades, and that You never abandon the purpose for which You came: to save us from our sinful condition, and to give us life eternal, the joy of relationship with a holy God. Your birth—and Your death—sealed Your promise to us forever. Amen.
Altar Servers at St Raphael's Parish
Saturday 18 December - Charli Raynolds & Sara Rush
Sunday 19 December - Kaiden Bischof & William Allan
What's On This Week
For Your Calendar
- If you are a member of staff you start with Staff Orientation Day on Friday, 28 January.
- If your child is in Year 1 - Year 7 or Year 11 or a Year 12 Leader then you start on Monday, 31 January.
- If your child is in Kindergarten, then they start at 10am on Tuesday, 1 February.
- Everyone else starts at the normal time on Tuesday 1 February.
Whilst we have several staff members taking some sort of leave in 2022 (Mrs Kristie Cooley and Mrs Laura Moodie will be away on Family Leave, Miss Danielle Gibbs will be away on leave), three people are leaving St Raphael’s for good – that is; leaving this place of work (they can never leave the St Raphael’s family … that’s permanent). Mrs Benjie Healy, Mrs Jenny White and Mr Michael Gallagher.
Staff Role Changes in 2022
- Mrs Peta Bischof will no longer be REC Secondary, Miss Karla Slaven will take on the REC role K-12.
- Miss Gabriella Zideluns will take up the role of KLA Coordinator (Secondary)
- Miss Melana Pearce changes roles in 2022 and will work with Year 5 with Miss Renae Downes.
- Mrs Rachel Butcher will continue to work with Learning Enrichment but will also take up a role in Primary Music.
- Mrs Anne Hickman will take up the role of Assistant Coordinator - Primary Curriculum
- Mrs Michelle Coombes will take up the secondary Wellbeing role addressing post COVID re- engagement.
- Mrs Larissa Gallard will take up the role of Sports Coordinator K-12
- Additional allocations for Indigenous Dance and Agriculture Startup have been incorporated into allocations at secondary level.
- Indigenous Pathways coordination will be appointed in the new year.
- The role of Family Educator has been withdrawn by the Diocese.
Primary Class Allocations 2022
- Kindergarten: Anne Hickman, Jodie Colemane, Kirsty Stephenson
- Year 1: Georgina Gough, Karla Slaven, Catherine McGoldrick
- Year 2: Kylie McNamara, Monica Blazley
- Year 3: Davina Smith, Carolyn James
- Year 4: Luke O’Reilly, Nicole Twohill-Scott, Kathy English
- Year 5: Darrel Colemane, Renae Downes, Melana Pearce
- Year 6: Grahame Statham + Support TBD
Additional appointments at Secondary level are yet to be finalised.
2022 School Fee Schedule
The St Raphael's 2022 School Fee Schedule has been released and is attached for your reference.
Swimming Carnivals 2022
A few dates for your diary:
- St Raphael’s Swimming Carnival: 10 February
- Southern Region Swimming Carnival: 22 February-Orange
- Diocesan Swimming Carnival (Secondary): 8 March-Dubbo
- Diocesan Swimming Carnival (Primary): 9 March-Dubbo
Mrs Nicole Twohill-Scott - K-12 Sports Coordinator
2022 Secondary Class Requirements
The stationery and equipment lists for Secondary 2022 are provided here for your planning.
Primary Curriculum News
Australia Day Literary Competition
What wonderful news! The Australia Day Literary Results have been decided. We are proud to announce the following award recipients. These prize awardees will have the opportunity to attend the Cowra Council Australia Day Celebrations and receive their prizes.
- Kinder 1st place Violet Pye
- Year 1 1st place - Sarah Langfield
- Year 1 2nd place - Grace Langfield
- Year 1 3rd place - Digby Delaney
- Year 2 1st place - Elsie Meyers
- Year 2 2nd place - Rory Rue
- Year 2 3rd place - Toby Woodhouse
- Year 3 1st place - Evie Smith
- Year 4 1st place - Ruby Lazanski
- Year 4 2nd place - Sienna Launders
- Year 5 1st place - Milla O'Reilly
- Year 5 2nd place - Charli Raynolds
- Year 6 1st place - Laura Bennet
- Year 6 2nd place - Georgie Anning
2022 Primary Class Requirements
The stationery and equipment list for Primary 2022 is provided here for your planning.
Primary Writing Compositions
Expand your imagination... by READING this Summer!
The Summer Reading Challenge will begin on November 15th and we are encouraging all students to read, read, read! Students can read anything they like to enter the challenge, whether it’s a comic, play, book, e-book or graphic novel.
Read to Learn… Read for Fun… Read to Win
The Executive Director’s Summer Reading Challenge is open to all students enrolled in our systemic Catholic schools in the Diocese of Bathurst. Students need to independently read 10 or more age-appropriate books (5 full length novels for secondary) during the summer holidays to go into the draw to win one of four iPads.
How to Enter
Keep an informal record of the books you have read over summer and complete the personal reading log. Once your challenge is complete, enter your list of read books online to go into the draw for a prize. A parent or guardian must confirm that the books were read prior to entry. Entries must be received by 5pm, 6th February 2022. The winners will be announced on Friday 11th February 2022 and published on Monday 14th February 2022,on the Catholic Education Website.
You may also like to refer to the NSW Premier's Reading Challenge Reading List for some ideas of books to read to get the summer reading challenge started.
Tomorrow Tuesday, 14 December (Tuesday, Week 11) all Primary classes will be having their class Christmas parties. Students are encouraged to wear Christmas themed mufti for our celebrations. Class parties will be held in our classrooms from approximately 12:30pm until lunchtime.
Due to COVID restrictions around sharing of food, we are asking that each student bring $2 to cover the food that each classroom teacher will purchase for the day.
This Week's Birthdays
Bendigo Bank - Scholarship for Year 11/12
Are you a student entering Yr 11 or 12 2022 and seeking financial assistance? Applications are now available with Bendigo Bank, Cowra Agency for a 1 year study scholarship. http://cia.communityenterprisefoundation.com.au/Program/AllowAccess?key=RcAAaWSI1iw
More information is available on the Bendigo Bank website, bendigobank.com.au/scholarships.